There are many different ways to decorate a t-shirt and they are all rather fun. Nothing beats taking a plain shirt and making it all your own and extra-special with just the addition of some color and prints or sequins and beads. If you want to decorate your t-shirt and you want to start out with a process that yields maximum results without taking too much effort, then you will want to try tie dye/paint splatter some t-shirt decoration.
How to Decorate Your T-Shirt
For those who are interested in the tie dye/paint splatter t-shirt decoration technique, you will want to know a few things. To start off, realize that this is a very fun process where pretty much anything goes and not too many rules apply. Another thing you should realize is that you still have to follow some steps if you are to get good results. What this means is you can go wild but at least learn how to perform the steps first.
That said, you can try to buy tie dye kits from your local arts and crafts store because this way, you have all you need to learn how to decorate your t-shirt. However, if you cannot find a kit, you can still get to work but you need to gather the following:
- The first thing you need to do is to wash the shirt to get rid of the size.
- Gather rubber bands—around 5 will do but you can always do more.
- Lay the dry shirt flat in a plastic covered surface.
- Gather the front and back parts of the shirt in a little bundle and wind rubber bands around the clumps. You will end up with unicorn-horn looking twists of cloth.
- Wet the shirt.
- Mix your dye and place in a squeeze bottle.
- Apply your first color to the very tip of the cloth clumps.
- Pick a contrast color and apply to the lower section.
- Pick a third color and apply that all over the shirt where you did not place the first 2 colors.
- Place the finished project in a plastic bag and allow to dry for 4-6 hours.
- Wash again in hot water with some non-bleach detergent.
- When dry, remove the rubber band and you can add the paint splatters using fabric paint and a small paint brush.
- Wash once more time and allow to dry for at least 48 hours before wearing.
Some color wash-off might occur but that is a natural part of the process and won’t affect the overall look shirt.
Making or Buying Your Own
Once you have completed the process, you can now enjoy your custom tie dye and paint spattered t-shirt. Once you have mastered this technique, you can get really creative and come up with all sorts of patterns. You can even apply the same principles to cut-offs and jeans. For those who want the same design on their shirts but aren’t quite up to the task of doing this on their own, you can always order from online stores that specialize in such a thing.
Do you think this is something you want to try? Let us know in the comments!